Part I

 Part I

I wonder,
Does she feel the depth of my tears from inside,
She's the first of my future to reside
In what was once a lonely womb
Barren of movement; kicks and twirls
I'm now a playground of acrobatics
But she freestyles, any time,
Her rumbling performances are far from systematic
But she responds to my voice and even my touch
Playing games as she retaliates to each of my prods,
It's all happening inside me; this growing life,
However, I'm yet to really touch her
And hear her breathe
Smell her skin
Admire her eyes
I'm yet to hear her voice
Although she hears mine every day
She has access to the world
Hearing the laughing, shouting, moans and groans of those
who love her before her story's even been told.
She may soon start to see light,
Which is a concept that baffles me
As my skin is not see-through,
It does not make sense.
I long for the day when she really sees light
In shaa Allaah, taking on the world and its wonders
Through the power of sight
I'm desperate to meet her
And cuddle her close
Cradling her to my breast
Reminding her that the heartbeat she memorised
Comes from my chest
She's already impacted my life in so many ways
Not all of them positive, I'll have to say
But dreaming of the day she arrives
Is enough to put these minor issues at bay

Written in the summer of 2016 during my third trimester of pregnancy with my firstborn.

Comments

Popular Posts